Saturday, February 24, 2007

Opening Night - "Camelot"

By and large, a successful venture. There were some problems, of course, but given the length of the show and complications of the set and costume changes, it could have been worse. There were some communication difficulties between the stage and the light booth, and a few set pieces and props had been moved.

One of the ensemble members was sick and couldn't perform. That's always ominous, because no matter how you reassign set changes and minor lines, there is always something crucial that the missing person does that will be sorely missed at some point. In this case, the ensemble member helped with one of Guenevere's costume changes, and the replacement hands were slower and less expert with tying bows, because of no practice, and so there may have been a delayed entrance, or some disarray [UPDATE: Marguerite says she made it OK for her entrance, but just BARELY]. In addition, we had some trouble with getting awkward set pieces on and off the stage, slowing the pace down.

There were some incongruities. For example, the other knights had cumbersome swords - thick slabs of medieval Gothic steel - whereas I had a slick, slim 17th century French epee. Director Lenore ('She Who Must Be Obeyed') Sebastian noticed the incongruity too late to attempt a change, so for the moment, I guess I'm still the 'gay blade' of the bunch.

I was nearly thrown off the music a few times. 'Fie On Goodness' was like driving a sports car along a winding mountain road, and nearly careening over the edge, but the thrill was we did just fine.

In 'Guenevere', delayed by set change duties, I at first failed to throw the dark hood of my cloak over my face, in order to obscure my identity and blend into the chorus. When I finally did so, the hood fell completely over my face. Every time I inhaled to sing, the hood's material moved up and made a perfect seal over my mouth. I started to giggle about the absurdity of the censorious hood, threatening to undermine what had to be a serious piece.

A very large contingent of Tae Kim's co-workers and Griffin Jackson's relatives were in the house, composing half of the entire audience. The crowd was very supportive, as you might expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment