Monday, September 13, 2004

More Tales of Sacramento at Night

(Although the sun hadn't quite set yet.) Yesterday, eight teenage boys were riding bicycles past my house, as I put green cuttings in a pile on the street corner for pickup. Then, with multiple thuds, three of the boys tangled in a messy bicycle collision. I hesitated to intervene, in order to avoid embarrassing them, as they slowly and painfully struggled to their feet. I warily returned to my task, and ten minutes later I saw them slowly ride away, egos and bodies bruised, but apparently with bicycles that still functioned.

That's the second accident in nearly the same location in six months. I still don't know how one of my neighbors fared at the hospital, after being struck on her helmetless head in a hit-and-run accident as she bicycled past my house. I hope she kept her memories - they were fading when they carted her away.

No comments:

Post a Comment