Sunday, July 17, 2016

First Annual Monopoly Tournament at DMTC


Lunch break.


Andy Hyun announces winners of the two preliminary rounds of the Monopoly Tournament, and the contestants advancing to the final round


Final table.


Final table, with Nicolette Ellis, banker.

The First Annual DMTC Monopoly Tournament was awesome. A geeky time was had by all. Congratulations, 6th-grader Aditya Dias from South Carolina, on his victory!
Photo by Stacy Sheehan.

Here is my first table. I was banker. Players are (left to right), Ben Bruening, Anik Singh, Elizabeth Fernandez, and Ken Koury (author of the book 'Monopoly Strategy').

The pace was blistering, especially for an inexperienced banker like myself. I watched as Ben failed to notice Ken owed him rent for North Carolina, and wondered "What else am I missing?" Ken had his properties obscured as a tactical strategy, provoking Andy Hyun (the judge) to rebuke him twice, but I was so busy making change and spewing houses onto the board and just trying to figure out what the hell was going on I couldn't keep up. Didn't matter, though. Anik swept the table on the first game. High stakes with the best!

Bought Ken's book, though. Never know when it'll be useful again.

No comments:

Post a Comment