Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Bristol Palin, ASU, And All That

When I first heard Bristol Palin was buying a house in Arizona, my first thought was: "How can she afford that? Does DWTS pay that well? Is her mom helping her out? Who knows?" Then, when I heard it was a house that had been foreclosed upon, I thought: "Well, good, that's another house off the market."

Then I heard she was going to be attending ASU (where I was a post-doc back in 1988). I thought: "Well, she'll fit right in. Another upwardly-mobile Republican type in the Valley of the Sun. They are everywhere there. ASU is one of the major centers of the GOP collegiate universe."

But then I heard the house was in Maricopa, and thought: "That's too far away from both Tempe and the metropolitan area. She'll be on the road a lot. Or, maybe not. Maricopa only makes sense if you are going to hunker down with the suburban family for, oh, twenty years, or so. And I guess that's her plan!"

Earlier this year, I posted about a fascinating article about the distressed housing market in Maricopa and its effects on the community. Myself, I wouldn't want to live there. But where some people see problems (short-sighted people like myself, for one), others see opportunity. Like they say, one person's trash is another person's treasure! And Bristol Palin isn't waiting for someone else to seize the moment. She has cash, and she's taking the leap!

And she's going to study broadcasting! Just like her mom!

Egads!

No comments:

Post a Comment