Sunday, October 10, 2010

CORE Dance Collective - Improvisation

Left: Whether intended or not, it almost looks like Tina DeVine is channeling Vanna White here.


This is the best of times for CORE. Let me explain.

At today's Crocker opening, Ruth Rosenberg, who ran her fabulous modern dance ensemble in the 1990's, and through her indefatigable work over the last decade, now reigns as the Sacramento Valley's doyenne of dance, passed by shortly before CORE performed and stopped to say hello. I asked her: "How do you like CORE?" She replied: "It was through my recommendation that they are here today at the Crocker!" As she departed, a little voice in the back of my head said "but I saw them first!"

You know you are arriving when everyone wants to be associated with you, in any way, great or small.

Which reminds me of the late 90's, when modern dance balletomane Bill O'Brien and I would be tottering around Berkeley's Zellerbach Hall, trying to get to our seats for Mark Morris' annual Christmas treat, "The Hard Nut." Bill would say: "You know, I discovered Mark Morris!" "Do tell," I'd reply.

Left: Blair Kendall.











Also see sister post for "The Doorway" preview.

No comments:

Post a Comment