Tuesday, March 16, 2010

"I Want To Be A Na’vi"

"Greenberg" opens March 26th in most places (March 19th in NY/LA). From Black Book's interview with Greta Gerwig:
What did you do?
I ate a lot. My main memory of Los Angeles is delicious taco stands. When I read the role, I thought of Florence as someone just seven pounds too big, just a little uncomfortable in her own skin. What we did was I got to L.A. a month before we shot the film, so I had a month and we did a costume fitting when I got there at my normal weight, and then I packed on like 12 or 15 pounds and then they didn’t adjust the costumes so you just have that shirt-pulling quality that’s hard to fake. I mean it’s not like my Raging Bull moment or anything, but it was important to me that she looked the way I thought she should look. But I did have a moment before the first day of shooting where I was like, “What have I done? This is my big break and I’m all pimply!” And then I saw the film and I’m so glad that I did, because it makes the love story seem more romantic or more real. There’s something unfortunate when you see glossiness or everything’s been prettied up. And I feel grateful because I just thought “Well, maybe my next role, they’ll say they want me back at that weight!” Great, I know the perfect taco stand, Pinchos on Sunset.”

...

Are you going to avoid traditional glossy Hollywood films?
I don’t know. I think part of me would like to do something with a green screen. Is that bad? It just seems so crazy, but I want to be a Na’vi.

No comments:

Post a Comment