Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Queen Street At Night - And In The Day

Wednesday night, I came back downtown, walking along the central traffic corridor of Queen Street.

Queen Street is a very vibrant place, and reminiscent of similar places (Market St.) in San Francisco. Big Asian presence, backpackers everywhere, businessmen hustling, fashionable young women giggling in large groups - what more can one ask for? Auckland is the San Francisco of the South Pacific!

I haven't done much here - eating, window shopping, looking at things. This Internet cafe is warm and inviting - so much so that I missed the last bus last night, and so had to walk the couple of miles back to Parnell (and, in true bus transit fashion, I hadn't actually missed the last bus - it was just late, and I saw it pass by on my walk).

Similarly, today is getting off to a slow start. I ended up back downtown, walking along Queen Street, eating, shopping at a gift bazaar, looking at things. I tried entering the Civic Theatre, used by Director Peter Jackson in his movie "King Kong", but it was closed (and there are no shows tonight. Maybe I'll take a ferry ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment