Friday, October 21, 2005

Above: Leading Man and Set Designer for "Victor/Victoria", Dave Lack (right), rehearses Wednesday night with the RSP Orchestra, led by Joseph Velez (left).

Below: Sparky recounts his haircutting adventure at Canine Cottage Wednesday afternoon.


"Victor/Victoria" Rehearsals End

Well, we've gotten all the rehearsals we'll get! I hope we do well!

The injuries are beginning to mount. Last night, Stage Manager Kari Pruitt twisted an ankle, and Dian Hoel fell over a dark crate that was hard to see in the stage gloaming. I felt guilty because I had just hurriedly placed the crate in her path while substituting for someone else in the set change: I garnered no blame, since the crate was about where it should have been, but STILL! People are fragile!

Stubbed toes are a problem. A doctor drilled a hole in Scott Griffith's big toe toenail, to release a little geyser of blood from the pool that had gathered underneath, allowing him to walk again. Monica and Angela both have stubbed toes, and I know there are others. If I hear "break a leg!" again, I'll kick them (no I won't: that would mean just another stubbed toe).

Alas! Sparky was cut from the show! Sparky was supposed to have a walk-on part, and, in anticipation, I took him for a visit to the dog groomers (Canine Cottage: Castro & Riverside). He was supposed to look like a pampered Parisian dog, with ribbons and bows, but basically he looked like a shorter-haired Sparky. He seemed to be adjusting to the stage, but I'm sure he had no earthly idea what it was all about, and the frantic energy of the backstage area sometimes unnerved him. As mentioned, people are getting hurt falling over objects on stage, and as nice as Sparky is, he posed another hazard. Plus, they are trying to simplify the show, and Sparky's feeling weren't particularly hurt by being left out.

I'm still in some pain from when I collided head-on with Scott Griffith. There is no evident bruise, but I must have damaged the pleural lining in some way. I wonder if I cracked a rib after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment