Thursday, August 24, 2017

Idaho Trip: Reno to Boise


Only got three hours of sleep in Reno.  Left at 9:30 a.m., Friday morning, 8/18/17.



There was a close-call.  As a semi-trailer passed me on I-80, it's tire started shredding and spewing rubber in every direction, but I escaped.  Turned north on Highway 95 at Winnemucca, NV, and passed Winnemucca Mountain (left).



I was surprised at the amount of agriculture near the Nevada-Oregon border. Lots of hay. Here is Santa Rosa Peak (?)


It kept getting smokier and smokier as I proceeded into Oregon.  Pretty soon, it felt like feeling my way, with the mountains mimicking an underwater trench. At Rome, on the banks of the Owyhee River, I asked about the smoke, but no one knew where it came from.  Apparently there was a big fire near the Three Sisters in the Cascade Mountains, and I kept bumping into the smoke in Oregon all during the trip.



Abandoned gas station in Rome in the pall.



Across the Owyhee River.



Arrived in Idaho.



A view of Boise in the distance (where they had a big fire going on along I-84 at the time, and visible here).



On the banks of the Snake River.


Arrived in Boise!  My cousins and hosts John & Marion Buzzell.


No comments:

Post a Comment