Friday, March 25, 2016

Reflection on "Man of La Mancha" Injury Potential

I was pleased with DMTC's 2016 production of "Man of La Mancha": in particular, in that I managed to avoid getting a lower abdominal injury akin to a groin pull the way I had done in the 2008 production. Blood drained down from the abdomen and formed a huge interior thigh bruise. I didn't understand the 2008 injury because all I had been doing at the time was getting up off the floor.

Doing the show again, I realized that getting up off the floor was just the occasion of the tear - the actual injury occurred a few minutes earlier, in the combat scene, diving into the floor. There is something about hitting the floor palms-first that sends a whip-like, injury-producing shock through the ligaments and muscles of the entire body. By the end of the 2016 production, I felt the ache of the strain from repeated pounding, but I didn't reproduce the injury, and that's what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment