Thursday, January 10, 2013

Mystery Of The Norwegian Coin

I was putting away Christmas cards, and realized I hadn't opened the card from childhood friend, Joe Lewis. So, I opened it.

Along with the card, he sent me a silver Norwegian 50 Ore coin, dating from 1896, and featuring a likeness of Oscar II. It was accompanied by a record from E-Bay indicating he paid $11.50 for it (plus $2.50 handling).

What the ....?

With brother Eddy's death in 2009, Joe has lately taken up the mantle of trying to convert the Heathen Valdez to Jesus. Joe's style is different than Eddy's was, though. Eddy's style was more like "JESUS!" Joe is more like "got Jesus?"

Could the coin be related to Jesus?

I put numismatics, philately, and other activities of this sort in a different mental pigeonhole than Jesus. Forcing a connection requires a flight of fancy.

I'll be like those folks in Lake Arthur, NM, who saw Jesus in a tortilla. Except people will say, "Marc, this doesn't look like Jesus. Jesus wasn't bald. It looks more like Oscar II."

It was probably just Joe's way of saying, "Merry Christmas!"

2 comments:

  1. Maybe he'll send you 29 more to see what you do with them...

    ReplyDelete