Thursday, February 16, 2012

Marc Valdez - Pictures From 1985 To 1994

Tucson School Of Ballet Days

Annette Paul (Madam) and Marc Valdez (Gambler) in a Gay-90's-themed Act I of "Round and Round", a recital presented by Tucson School of Ballet (Tucson Community Ballet; now Tucson Regional Ballet) at Rincon High School on May 19, 1985.


I started taking ballet at the University of Arizona in 1982 after deciding that I couldn't wait any longer to start strengthening my feet (after injuring myself just stepping off a curb). George Zoritch was an inspiring teacher! But it wasn't until 1985, that I also started driving clear across town to the little storefront on Speedway Blvd. and started participating in community ballet with TCB. (These days, TCB has evolved into the large and impressive Tucson Regional Ballet, but these were the smaller, earlier days.)

My appearance at the studio was greeted enthusiastically by Director Linda Walker - look, a dancing male! - but caused a bit of a crisis with the teenage girls who dominated the social scene there: what were they going with this awkward oaf? I didn't help matters with an accident just a week before the recital. I fumbled a step (what was it called? A Gorgonzola?) and drove my right foot into the floor, cracking my smallest metatarsal and giving me a limp. But the show must go on!

"Round and Round" was really my first time on-stage performing ballet. Some memories remain very vivid: even though I couldn't see the audience in the dark, I could hear the audience breathing. Like a predatory feline crouched in the darkness of an African night. Quite distracting!

That sweetheart Annette Paul was my first ballet dance partner. I understand she lives in Alaska now.


Tucson School of Ballet presented "The Wizard of Oz" on May 11, 1986 at Rincon High School. This is a dress rehearsal, probably on May 8, 1986. Pictured are Tin Man (Michael Sweeney), Dorothy (Leslie Smythe), and Scare Crow (Stephanie - Stephanie Shea?) Obscured in the back is Toto (Kristina Marie Fernandez).


The Munchkins of Oz, with Leslie Smythe as Dorothy and Dawn Craig as Glinda the Good Witch. At extreme left, dressed in black, is Kristina Marie Fernandez as Toto.

Kristina Fernandez: what a dancer!

Kristina Fernandez was the rarest sort of person: a natural ballet prodigy. Her maturity and level-headedness were so striking it seemed like she was an adult woman trapped in the body of a small kid. It came as little surprise that she eventually danced with New York City Ballet: arguably the best ballet company in the entire world. I believe she lives somewhere in Canada these days.


Marc Valdez as the Cowardly Lion (and wearing wire-rim glasses in this rehearsal).


Off to see the Wizard!


Director Linda Walker, who is originally from Sacramento and who danced with Barbara Crockett as a little girl. Right background, Ida Martinez.



Israeli Folk Dance Days

Marc Valdez, and wife Susana Mullen, at the University of Arizona Hillel.


The latest in Israeli dances attracted a number of folks, including - surprise! - Israelis!


Gosh, I've forgotten everyone's names (excepting Anke, on the right).


Susana and Marc.


Graduating From The University Of Arizona

My parents in Tucson on December 19, 1987 for the graduation ceremonies (Ph.D. in Atmospheric Sciences).


Marc seated with his advising professor, George Dawson.


Salt Lake City Days

A view of downtown Salt Lake City from my office, 805 William B. Browning Bldg., at the University of Utah.


40th Street Days

Here is Persia Nelson, daughter my girl friend Katherine Arthur. Persia is a reasonably well-known Sacramento photographer these days, but in those days she was very proud of her jacked-up Toyota pickup truck. It was from her that I first-learned use of that all-purpose Northern-Californian adjective, "hella".


Friend James Bucanek used his remarkable kitchen skills to prepare a marvelous repast during an opening at the MARS Art Gallery during one of my visits to Phoenix to view and purchase some of the artwork of Deborah McMillion-Nering.


Bon apetit!


Jerry Steffens, on a visit to Sacramento from San Jose, in about 1993.


Washing Stella the Dog, in 1993.


Sparky the Dog, and his master, on a visit to the beach at Carmel, in May 1994.


Woodland Dance Academy Days

Marc lifts Andrea Rechtfertig onto his shoulder during the Woodland Dance Academy "Nutcracker", at the Varsity Theater in Davis, CA, in 1994.

No comments:

Post a Comment