Thursday, February 17, 2011

Engaging With The Homeless Population

I'm still reading the article by William T. Vollmann in the March issue of Harper's Magazine: 'Homeless in Sacramento'. It reads almost like Steinbeck in describing the particularities of being homeless last year in and about the American River Parkway and near Blue Diamond's Almond Plant - less than a mile away from here, but on an entirely-different plane of existence. A Sacramento resident, Vollmann began spending more and more time with the homeless, and eventually started sleeping in the elements with them as well.

We all have our various ways of engaging with the homeless, or nearly-homeless, population. Sometimes we see right through them. Sometimes it's a matter of surreptitiously handing over small amounts of money. Sometimes, like in Vollmann's case, it's more complicated....

When I moved into my neighborhood south of downtown in 1995, I engaged myself to some extent with the homeless, offering some of them some work. Many of these efforts ended in frustration (e.g., the painters; Adam), but some long-lasting relationships (e.g., Larry & Katie) and friendships (e.g., Joe) have evolved over the years.

I just figure that it behooves you to engage with your neighborhood (and not just the settled folks). Failure to engage with everyone in your neighborhood isolates you. In ignorant bliss, you can be exposed to dangers without even knowing it. Since my neighborhood in the late 90's had lots of homeless, or nearly-homeless, folks, keeping up with them was important for staying informed. They were my eyes and ears, and, in turn, I was theirs.

Maybe partly because I haven't had a dog for two years, and thus get out on the street less often these days, I observe that there seems to be an absence of homeless folks in my neighborhood. Are they genuinely gone, or have they moved a short distance away, or are they just keeping a lower profile? I don't know. Which just shows you that my local intelligence network has broken down....

No comments:

Post a Comment