Thursday, August 27, 2009

Overnight In Flagstaff

I stopped at one of the two Motel 6's on the eastern fringe of Flagstaff. For dinner, I tried to take an easy jaunt over to Outback Steakhouse, whose neon lights I had seen from the freeway, but the restaurant was farther away than I had realized - about six blocks along the curving frontage road. Still, it was worth the walk. Nice cuisine from Down Under!

In the morning, I went for a brief jog (trying to make the most of the high-altitude conditioning). Finding a good trail was hard. I struck across a No-Man's Land, and deeply alarmed some kind of whistling ground squirrel, or prairie dog, or ferret living in a set of railroad ties (whatever it was, it was not happy at my presence). I also alarmed some crows. I ended up on the property of some kind of active concrete batch plant. Exercise gained? Not that much, really, but lots of things to see.

Back at the motel room, the heartwarming movie "Babe" (about the pig who wished to be a sheepherding dog) was on TV. I was transfixed by the charming tale from Down Under (I hadn't seen it before). At the end of the movie, I was in tears.

It was interesting that I could cry for "Babe", yet still have not cried for my own father's passing. Maybe that's to come. Hard to say for sure.....

No comments:

Post a Comment