Thursday, August 27, 2009

Competitive Aussie

Refueling at the Shell station in Tonopah, I encountered an Aussie fellow in his 30's. He inquired about the rental rates for U-Haul trucks, like the one I was driving. Referring to the car he was driving, he said "I thought I knew in advance what the charges would be for this, but there were more." I commiserated with him - there were extra charges for my truck too. Plus, three years ago, when I went down there, I had been surprised at the low rental rates for cars. Any American car rental rates would seem like a ripoff in comparison.

"We've been at Wendover, Utah, preparing to take the land-speed record from you Americans," he offered. "And did you?" I replied. "Oh, we will, we will," he stated.

So, this vehicle competition hasn't occurred yet! That would be an interesting event to see! And Aussies love competitions, and love winning them!

"I visited Australia three years ago - Brisbane," I said. "It's a bit of a shithole really," he observed. From inside the car a peal of laughter came from his woman companion. "But, you see, we're a bit biased. We're from Sydney, you see...." I nodded in mock solemnity and said "I understand!" He nodded back with a smile, got back in his car, and drove off....

No comments:

Post a Comment