Thursday, February 19, 2009

Lady GaGa Ft Colby O'Donis - Just Dance



I remember 1982, when it became difficult to ignore newly-famous Madonna on the radio. "I hate Madonna! I really hate her!" a friend repeated, over and over, and his girlfriend nodded vigorously in agreement. "I hate Madonna too," I said, mostly because I didn't much like her song 'Lucky Star' and didn't yet realize that 'Borderline', a song that I did like, was one of her songs. After hearing more tracks from her debut album, I let this distaste go.

That's how it goes. If some newly-famous singer really gets in your face and crowds your airwaves, there's usually a reason. In 1999, I noticed that all sorts of people were hating on newly-famous Britney Spears for no rational reason, which just meant it was time to pay attention. I mean, people (particularly women) hated Marilyn Monroe with the same irrational fervor, and look how great she turned out.

Now it's 2009, and it's difficult to ignore newly-famous Lady Gaga on the radio:
Pop culture is art. It doesn’t make you cool to hate pop culture, so I embraced it and you hear it all over The Fame. But, it’s a sharable fame. I want to invite you all to the party. I want people to feel a part of this lifestyle
I haven't yet heard anybody say they hate her, but I'm sure I will soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment