Friday, December 05, 2008

New Zealand Trip Preview

The computer support person here has outfitted me with a laptop. So, in theory, I should be reachable by E-Mail, even in NZ (mvaldez@sierraresearch.com). I hope that this is actually true.
Of course, one way or the other, I will be checking in on this blog, and so messages can be left in the comments section of the most-recent post (although they will be open to public view).

Here is my itinerary, such as it is.

Leg 1: San Francisco to Auckland, via Sydney (Dec. 7th – Dec. 9th):

There are more direct flights, but this seems to be the only flight that both allows me to perform the last show in DMTC’s “Man of La Mancha” in Davis on Dec. 7th, as well as getting me into Auckland in time for Kylie’s second concert on Dec. 9th.

Wednesday and Thursday I thought I’d sightsee in the Auckland area. I’ve made plans to stay at a little place for backpackers called City Garden Lodge, 20 minutes walking distance from Vector Arena, in the Parnell neighborhood just east of central Auckland (09-302 0880). It appears to be lodge run by yogis, and thus might prove interesting for local color.

Leg 2: Auckland to Christchurch (Dec. 12th)

My original plan was to arrive in Christchurch on Friday, so as not to disturb my host Andrew's week, but he plans to be entertaining Canadian guests that first weekend. He already has a house rented in spectacular Arthur's Pass National Park.

Friday night is no problem at all as it will be only us two. But then the four Canadians arrive Saturday. That is when it will be more tricky as the house is not that big. Options include:

  • I sleep outside in the garden, whether in a tent or under the stars. Sleeping outside at Arthur’s Pass, even without a tent, doesn’t bother me as long as it isn’t raining, too cold, or there isn’t a heavy dewfall. There are no animal hazards (excepting a rare and protected spider), although I suppose I could always be savaged by sheep;
  • Borrow Andrew's car and head visit Greymouth or the West Coast which is an hour or so from there for Saturday and Sunday nights and then back Monday morning;
  • Or stay at Andrew's house in Diamond Harbour for the weekend.

    The decision is yet to be made on this.

    The second weekend, we plan to rent this divine house at Lake Wanaka.

    Leg 3: Auckland to Christchurch to San Francisco

    December 24th.

    There seemed to be no natural time to end the trip, but if I leave on Christmas Eve, I get back in time to help out with logistics at the theater for the New Year’s Eve Gala.

    Here is my airline itinerary:
  • Sun, Dec 07, 2008 Sacramento, CA (SMF) to San Francisco, CA (SFO)
    United 5564
    Operated by: United Express/skywest Airlines Depart: SMF 8:35 PM
    Arrive: SFO 9:22 PM Non-stop
    47m
    Embraer 120
    86 miles traveled Seats:09A

    Sun, Dec 07, 2008 San Francisco, CA (SFO) to Auckland, New Zealand (AKL)
    United 0863
    Depart: SFO 10:38 PM
    Arrive: SYD 8:05 AM
    Arrives 2nd day
    Dec 9 Non-stop
    14h 27m
    Boeing 747-400
    7,412 miles traveled Seats:55K

    <<<>>>

    United 9564
    Operated by: Air New Zealand Limited Depart: SYD 9:40 AM
    Arrive: AKL 2:40 PM Non-stop
    3h
    Boeing 767-300
    1,345 miles traveled Seats:N/A


    Wed, Dec 24, 2008 Christchurch, New Zealand (CHC) to San Francisco, CA (SFO)
    United 9526
    Operated by: Air New Zealand Limited Depart: CHC 4:30 PM
    Arrive: AKL 5:50 PM Non-stop
    1h 20m
    Boeing 737-300
    463 miles traveled Seats:N/A

    <<<>>>

    United 9570
    Operated by: Air New Zealand Limited Depart: AKL 7:30 PM
    Arrive: SFO 10:30 AM Non-stop
    12h
    Boeing 747-400
    6,514 miles traveled Seats:N/A

    No comments:

    Post a Comment