Monday, December 22, 2008

AJ Hackett's Bungy Jump Center At The Kawarau Bridge

Left: The Kawarau River Bridge, with the bungy jumping station.


It was late afternoon, and I wanted to get some distance between Queenstown and myself. That is a very touristy place! So, I headed back towards Cromwell in the Daihatsu Sirion rent-a-car.

But just a couple of k's down the road from the Wanaka turnoff, there was a sign for a historical site - the Kawarau Bridge. And more signs for AJ Hackett's Bungy Jumping at the bridge. Oh, so here is where they put it! I thought it was on the other side of Queenstown! (As it turns out, they have bungy jumping at several locations, but this is the oldest - according to QT Magazine, AJ Hackett just celebrated their 20th anniversary at this prime location.

Well, it looks fun. Not that far to the water (I thought it was about 100 feet, but they say it's 43 meters, or 142 feet).

The jumpers wave feebly to the watchers just before they jump. Some plunge briefly into the water before springing back on the rope. The crowd cheers - one Pacific Islander next to me praised one fellow's bravery and said "he did good!"


Left: This woman dived backwards, and her arc and swing were thus more interesting than usual.

Left: Looks fun!

Left: Grabbing onto the metal hook and getting pulled into the raft.


Left: The young Chinese woman jumps.


The Chinese folks next to me cheered two of their own with abandon. Looks fun! Maybe I should do it. Yes!

But Marc, these Chinese people are in their 20's.

But one of them is a girl! I'm braver than these Chinese folks. Or I should be!

But Marc, people love you back in the States. They will be sad if there is an accident.

But I'm braver than these Chinese folks!

No.

Yes!

No!

YES!

(But I've got to take a pee first....)

No comments:

Post a Comment