Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Community Supports Their Own

Bruce Warren's latest story in the Auburn Journal:
Community response to one family of survivors from the Auburn Greens apartment fire has been overwhelming for Britany and Ken Mulhern and their two young daughters.

Employees at the Placer County Superior Court raised more than $2,000 for the family, which includes 10-month-old Sydney and Lexi (Alexandria), 7.

“They just started coming up to Britany with checks and bags of clothes,” Ken Mulhern said Wednesday. “None of it was solicited. We were just absolutely overwhelmed.”

Britany, 32 works as a family law clerk at Placer County Superior Court in Roseville, and Ken Mulhern’s mother Katie Mulhern works as a paralegal for Bruce Kline, an attorney for the City of Folsom. Kline started the fundraising efforts for the family by personally giving $200, and then sent out an e-mail describing our situation, Ken Mulhern said. Kline also gave the Mulherns complete use of his house for the first crucial week that they were without a home, and that’s where they are staying now.

Through Kline’s efforts the entire city hall raised more than $2,000 from “people I don’t even know,” Ken Mulhern said. “It just blows my mind.”

...“I always had thought that this could never happen to me,” Britany Mulhern said. “Well, I was wrong. I now know how other fire victims feel and I’m here to tell you I’m so glad that everyone got out safely.”

No comments:

Post a Comment