Friday, July 25, 2008

"bare" Coming To Sacramento!

Artistic Differences' "bare" will be at the Space on R Street through the month of August, featuring some of Sacramento's best singers/actors/dancers (Maggie Hollinbeck, Joelle Wirth, Kelly Daniells, Ian Cullity, Joshua James, etc., etc.). Some of the numbers were previewed at the Artistic Differences fundraiser last month.

Outword Magazine's Chris Narloch interviewed Director Kevin Caravalho (excerpt):

I dug out my CD of the cast recording, and I had forgotten how much I like the music. It’s not traditional show tunes stuff. Don’t you think that fans of Rent will enjoy bare?

Yes, I think the music is very accessible to the “new breed” of theatergoer. The score resembles the pop/rock sounds of Rent and Spring Awakening. I feel, however, that the story and character development in bare is far richer in scope.

I know you as an actor from your work in Angels in America and Rocky Horror. Have you directed before bare?

I have directed before, but I have never connected with a piece of theater as I have with this. And the cast we have assembled is truly amazing. I could not be happier.

I understand that James Snyder from Broadway’s Cry-Baby will be playing his own music before a couple performances. Tell me about that and his connection to bare and
Sacramento?


You can imagine how exciting this is for us, as well as Sacramento theater in general. James is a Sacramento native fresh off his star turn in Broadway’s Cry-Baby. He lent his voice to the original cast of bare. Through a friend, James and I started speaking, and I am excited to say he has agreed to perform some songs from his upcoming CD as an opening act for two performances of our show.


bare runs July 30 through August 31 at The Space, located at 2509 R Street in midtown Sacramento. Performances are Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. Tickets are $18 General, $15 Student (with valid student ID)/Senior (+65), and group (+10) tickets are $14 each. Tickets may be purchased at http://www.artisticdifferences.net/ or by calling the box office at 916-708-3449. bare contains strong language and mature themes.



Due to the miracle of YouTube (praise be!) here is 'Epiphany', from "bare" as performed at the Artistic Differences' Fundraiser on June 1st. The video is jumpy in places, but the excellent training of the cast shines through - and this is two months before opening, before all the detail work has been done!

No comments:

Post a Comment