Monday, October 01, 2007

Dance Anthro

As much as I love dance music and dance culture, in all it forms, I'm in the wrong demographic to have actual contact with rave culture and its practioners, and usually have had to content myself with handy devices, like DVD recordings of music festivals, to form the semblance of an understanding. By and large, the young people with whom I actually come in contact, such as at the theater, are in entirely the wrong subculture themselves to be representative of dance culture. And the few former ravers who drop into the theater world don't really want to talk about it. So, I try to learn what I can from the chance outside contacts I make:

Me: So, let me see if I understand this: You are a PLUR kandi raver juggalo.
She: That's right. Some people use the term PLURR, but the second 'R' flows as a consequence of the other letters, and so it is redundant. Some people use the term 'PLUR-PLUR', but that's really just way too much for me.
Me: So, what I'd like to know is, what is a 'hatchet'?
She: (???) Well, a hatchet is, like, a small axe. You are familiar with the work of Insane Clown Posse, aren't you?
Me: Perhaps less than you might think (didn't like or understand their videos in the 90's).
She: Well, hatchets are big with juggalos....

No comments:

Post a Comment