Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Apprehension

The concourse at the HP Pavilion was very crowded when we arrived for the Madonna "Confessions" concert Tuesday evening in San Jose. Sometimes, especially in front of sales booths, it got to the point where movement was difficult.

At one point, two women travelling along brushed against me, one behind and one in front. The woman in front, carrying a glass of wine, noted that she might spill it on me. I joked that I'd lap up every drop, and she smiled and said it would certainly taste good. We went our separate ways on the way to our seats.

A minute later, I noticed I no longer had my wallet.

Security folks at the HP Pavilion were certainly understanding, but what could be done against a pickpocket? I spent the evening under a bit of a pall, wondering about how much credit damage would occur.

It was certainly a pleasure seeing my wallet again, on the driver's side floormat, when we returned to the car after the concert....

I did end up getting fleeced nevertheless, meaning I spent all my cash, on parking and food and gas. It would have happened anyway, but by not having the wallet with me in the arena, I probably saved money by not buying overpriced Madonna schlock using the credit card. At least I spent the cash myself rather than some criminal do it for me, though! I now have a Madonna T-Shirt, purchased from a street vendor to whom I pleaded poverty, and for which I spent $7 in random cash I had in my pocket, rather than his asking price of $10!

No comments:

Post a Comment