Monday, March 13, 2006

TMI

I've always had trouble with the concept of TMI (Too Much Information): that nails-on-the-chalkboard moment when you reveal just a bit too much of your inner life to others, to general consternation.

Two moments recently illustrated my problems with finding that boundary.

I was nodding off at a recent DMTC Board Meeting, when Steve called out to me. Opening my eyes, I said, "Oh, I'm not falling asleep - actually I was wondering why I grabbed my crotch in aerobics class tonight. I mean, there I was, right at the front of the class, the only male student in a class of 35, or so, dance and swimming instructors, former cheerleaders, and state employees, and suddenly, for reasons I don't understand, I grabbed my crotch. I just hope, with all the exercise activity going on, that no one saw me." TMI! The meeting came to a halt for several minutes: Dian practically fell out of her chair with laughter.

Then there was today's TMI E-Mail exchange. N. took note of the recent case of the Berkeley man who was arrested for urinating in public, and the California court ruling that it is illegal to urinate in public:

N.: Urinetown really exists. Apparently, the musical was psychic.

Marc: I once peed in public in Berkeley. I would recommend it to everyone, except that we'd all get arrested.

N.: Only you could admit that. Um, thanks for the info. And for the record, it's a lot easier for guys. I think there are other gender-related issues that make it less appealing to women than to men.

M.: Wait a second... I could have been peeing in public all the time until just now? What the hell?! And do they ever mention THAT in school?!

Marc: What are the lyrics from 'Big Yellow Taxi'?
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
'Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

No comments:

Post a Comment