Sunday, September 18, 2005

"Cabaret": First Weekend's Shows

We opened "Cabaret" this weekend. By and large, things worked well, although there were some glitches, of course.

My glitches:
Friday night: I bumbled through the opening and closing scenes, forgot a few steps, and guessed wrong on some song words.
Saturday night: Clothing malfunction - my sailor collar ripped halfway off while going through a quick-change just before the 'Telephone Dance', and I struggled to figure out a quick, workable solution. I ALMOST missed my singing part!
Sunday afternoon: ALMOST forgot to drop hands to terminate a circle dance, and ALMOST dropped a glass while moving a table during a scene change.

Show glitches:
Friday night: Steve's absence doing percussion during tech week meant that the Kit Kat girls had never heard a critical drum solo until opening night. Keyboard and percussion coordination failed during the drum solo, and chaos on the line erupted. We also had trouble with singing during the 'Telephone Dance.'
Saturday night: Not too many problems - Diane H. almost toppled off her chair in the opening scene, though.
Sunday afternoon: The flag drop failed. Chris N. was beside himself with frustration. He had perfected the folding of the flag so that it would always fall properly out of its basket, but who knew the rope would occasionally get in the way? (Sporadic failures are always the hardest to catch in any show).

Nevertheless, each show was better than the one before. In addition, the audiences got progressively bigger, and more expressive. Sunday afternoon's show was excellent, and I think we are going to have even more fun as we go along.

Tonight, I'm pretty tired. I'm just idling away right now, but tomorrow may be busier than I expected. There is an active campaign underway in the local amateur musical theater community to flush out dancers for "Victor/Victoria" at Runaway Stage, and I was urged by friends to look into it. I'm skeptical: I mean, I think I'd make a damn funny-looking transvestite, but maybe it's a worthwhile challenge - I know I have a lot yet to learn about theater - costumes, gesture, acting, walking around in heels!

No comments:

Post a Comment