Thursday, December 23, 2021

"West Side Story" 2021

 

We went to see the new "West Side Story." I liked it! Better than the original. Much better backstory development, with much better exposition at the start of the movie. I loved all the little details, rendered lovingly by Steven Spielberg and his crew, like the ragtag sign opposing Robert Moses and his vision for the future of New York City

I noticed the dancing was a touch slower and less angular than the original. That suited me fine. The character development was better. The cinematography was awesome; light years ahead of the original. And Rita Moreno was in it too! 

The only things I didn't like was scene in the morning at the apartment after the dance - it dragged a bit. And I didn't like the Anybodys character - not as sassy as the original, and somewhat inexpressive, with a disconcerting hint of horror. Still, in the grand scheme of things, very minor complaints.

Just a triumph of a movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment