Sunday, April 26, 2020

By Bicycle: Midtown/Downtown Sacramento - Part II


Theater-themed mural.





"I pity the fool."


Where's the coyote?





20th St. heads north, over the levee where you find the old Union Pacific tracks. What's over there?


To the west, the Blue Diamond walnut processing facility.


Endless tracks to the east.


There are two railroad trestles north of downtown Sacramento that cross the American River between Interstate 5 and the Capitol City Freeway. This track connects to the westernmost of the trestles - the Southern Pacific line.


The Southern Pacific track, looking north from about E Street.


Twenty-nine years ago, back in 1991, I sometimes used to bike into work from East Sacramento. I'd take the American River Parkway, then cut through a passage through the levee and under the Union Pacific tracks.


Is this the place? It doesn't look right, but it was a long time ago, and I didn't dawdle and sightsee given the homeless crowd and the various drug addicts that would linger about. I'll head north a bit and check it out.


Holy crap, there are a LOT of homeless people up here these days! More than in 1991. Some of the encampments look like compounds. They've had a lot of time up here to become part of the landscape. Time to head back south.


John Ellis, where I sometimes get my truck fixed.


The new highrise building at 19th and J Street, looking good!


1801 J Street, formerly Sierra Research. I was employed at Sierra Research from 1990-2016. I was at this address from 1994 to 2016. Totally remodeled!


I spent 22 years behind the brick-facade second-floor window, third from the left. No way to tell that ever happened, though.


The quail is new. The quail is a good touch, right by the back door.

I remember once coming out of the back door. As I walked away, I heard a *thwack* on the canopy above the back door. I turned around and found a dazed kestrel lying on the pavement. Such a small, pretty raptor! It must have been chasing prey, zipped around the building, and crash!

I took out my cell phone and started calling the Wildlife Care Association for help. As I turned away, the kestrel took advantage of my preoccupation and flew away.

Who knows, maybe the kestrel was chasing a quail?

The new dog park at P and 21st St. Haven't brought Jasper here yet.


I love these staggered windows at the YMCA at 21st and W St.

After my heart attack two years ago, I joined the Y. I didn't use the facilities as much as I thought I would - instead I resumed my Zumba schedule at Step One - and so stopped my membership here a year ago, but sometimes I'll drop in anyway.





Alas, I have a flat tire. Time to walk home.

No comments:

Post a Comment