Saturday, April 25, 2020

By Bicycle: Midtown/Downtown Sacramento - Part I


The new Press Apartment building at 21st & Q St., across the street from the Sacramento Bee newspaper. The light-rail overpass where bats live(d) when I used to linger here in 2016 is behind this building.

The Press Club is a block away, at P Street. It just dawned on me that the Press Club gets its name from the newspaper. I've lived here thirty years, and I only just now made that connection. I am not the swiftest knife in the drawer!


The building in which the Sacramento Bee is housed has offices that can be sublet! The decline and fall of a great metropolitan newspaper! Damned Internet!


Pigs fly! (28th & U St.)





Ella K. McClatchy Branch of the Sacramento City Library (Poverty Ridge neighborhood). Is Ella short for Eleanor, of Elly Award fame? I wonder.


Joan Didion childhood home, 22nd & T St., Poverty Ridge neighborhood.


Dad's, on S Street.


Curious Mural, visible from Dad's.





Saint Elizabeth Catholic Church, 12th and S St.


Old Ironsides, and 10th and S St. I came here for a campaign stop when I ran for Governor in 2003


Cool-looking mid-century modern car wash. I think this is Orbit Wash, 9th and T St.


Not from a bike trip. A cool-looking, gold-colored mandala on the wall at Taste of Thai, 1628 Broadway Blvd.


Round Corner, 24th and T St. I like the Glass Block Windows.


Murals in the alleys just south of the light rail line, near 24th St.

















American Market, 24th and N St. This store was featured in a montage sequence in Greta Gerwig's "Lady Bird."


American Market


American Market




The fellow who put this video together lists the American Market first

(I think he got the train tracks wrong - I think Greta was referring to the old Union Pacific tracks, not the light rail tracks in East Sacramento - but no biggie.)


First Baptist Church of Sacramento, 24th & L St.


The Vineyard Church, 24th and K St.





I like the look.


Various murals.











Prince, on 20th St.


Here's the light rail overpass I mentioned at the start. I need to return here at night and listen for bats.

No comments:

Post a Comment