Thursday, August 16, 2018

Leaning Towards a Chupacabra

I was out front watering plants about 1 a.m. Sunday morning when I heard a commotion down a side street. Some kind of animal was thrashing and thumping against a parked car. It sounded like a rabid dog devouring a whimpering puppy, but as I approached in the dark, I could tell it was just one animal, not two. In the poor light I could see the glow of eyes. Fear stabbed my chest.

I didn’t want to approach any wild animal in the dark without being able to see it clearly, so I ran home to get a flashlight. My mind ran through the possibilities: raccoon, skunk, dog, chupacabra, wolverine, bear, werewolf, Cujo.

When I returned, the gnashing, thrashing animal had retreated down a driveway at the end of the street. No way was I going to pursue a wild animal down those tight, dark confines! I returned home, and even though it was a warm night, I hid under my covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment