Sunday, July 01, 2018

Wes Craven's "The Hills Have Eyes"

After my friends and I got ill watching Wes Craven's first film "Last House on the Left" at the drive-in theater in 1972, and stormed out - it was the chisel on the front teeth scene - I pledged never to watch another Wes Craven film. And I've kept that pledge. Nevertheless, I decided to watch Wes Craven's 1977 film "The Hills Have Eyes," because it's apparently part of the oral background of "Breaking Bad." The inspiration for the battle between the biker-gang family and the White nuclear family may have come from “The Hills Have Eyes,” which features a pitched battle between the white-bread family from Ohio and the feral family in the desert. Jimmy McGill even mentions “The Hills Have Eyes” in his Bingo rant (“Better Call Saul,” Season 1, episode 10, ‘Marco’).

The film is pretty good - better than expected for what I thought might be just a low-cost Seventies slasher flick.




The making of the film is good too. Ideas for the film came from classical mythology. Better than expected for what I thought might be just a low-cost Seventies slasher flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment