Monday, February 01, 2016

Gangsta

Last night, I had my first extended Facebook discussion with enthusiastic supporters of Donald Trump. I can't say it went well.

We are just starting the formal 2016 election season. We need to have a brief discussion about appropriate language in a political discussion. These Trump enthusiasts were fond of using the word "gangsta" when referring to Obama and the Democratic Party. Lately, I've noticed the word bouncing around in conservative circles when referring to Obama.

"Gangsta" has a number of connotations, in culture, in music, and in the politics of music, but when it's used in politics proper, and particularly when it's applied to Obama, it's a racist dogwhistle. If you use gangsta, you may as well use the "N" word. You aren't fooling anyone. (And outspoken conservatives supposedly don't buy into 'political correctness' anyway, so why the euphemism?)

I don't put up with racist dogwhistles. If you want to use gangsta in a political sense, then we can't be Facebook friends. I don't care if we've known each other since elementary school. You are my enemy. I will Unfriend you without notice.

As I cheerily bade farewell to the Trump enthusiasts: "Looking forward to peeling the skulls of people just like you!" (And hopefully just in an electoral sense, because, despite my Hispanic heritage, my switchblade skills are rusty, my carving knives are blunt, and I'd botch the job for sure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment