Monday, August 25, 2014

Second Annual CORE Gala And Fundraiser - The Pavilion at Haggin Oaks


The Friday night promise:
Join Artistic Director Kelli Leighton and the CORE company dancers for live music, drinks, hors d’oeuvres, and a silent auction fundraiser to celebrate the opening of CORE’s 2014 season!

Artificial turf  and real turf blend on the golf course.


Silent Auction.  I was sorely tempted to bid $700 for a paddleboard, but reason argued otherwise (I don't swim and enticing me out on open water may be a mistake).


Beautiful light!


Golf in the distance.


Sitting at the VIP table (even though I wasn't a VIP).


The beautiful dancers of CORE in summer evening wear.


Everybody dance!  Bill Reilley was there, doing solo ballroom dance. I haven't seen Bill in quite a few years, and I certainly didn't know he was a big CORE fan! His niece is 22 now.  Last I saw her, she was enthralled by her Pokémon collection!

I remember reading a passage from a biography of Bob Fosse about how professional Broadway dancers are usually too busy to dance in nightclubs and other social venues, but when they do so (as they did at Bob Fosse's wake) they do so in a deeper, more meaningful way than most people do. It was a moving passage.

The CORE dancers didn't seem to fit this conception. They danced just the way anyone else with enthusiasm would do (except they were doing this strange, jabby thing that must be a part of their current repertoire). Just as silly and meaningless as anyone! So much for literature!


Of course, I thought this was about physical fitness.



Celebrate the 5th Anniversary of Kelli Leighton's innovative work, "The Doorway"!
October 16, 17, 18 & 23, 24, 25, 2014 7:30pm
Benvenuti Performing Arts Center, Sacramento, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment