Monday, March 17, 2014

CORE Contemporary Dance's "Barebones"


A wonderful evening with the wonderful dancers of CORE!

The group appears in the midst of a transition - new studio, new opportunities, new events - so some dancers I'm quite fond of weren't onstage.  Still, the rest really delivered!
Once again, Blair Cacanando must be the best dancer in Sacramento: perhaps the West Coast, or the world, for that matter! There is something about her zeal, precision, and artistry that just does it. I am in absolute awe!
Andrew Hopper just gets better and better! Wonderful duet with Rachael Jensen!

There was a moment where Jamie Day just captured the flame. She had a brief solo in the center of a ring, but the brilliant moment started earlier, about twenty seconds earlier, when she swept downstage. It was like a divine light ignited!

I like Cat Davis too: her big smile and energy. And she's moving forward too, and getting better and better!

I was intrigued by the sweater-like tops they wore. I liked the way they caught the light and thought maybe they were like half togas. Were they a classical reference? Afterwards, at the question-and-answer session, I asked about them. Kelli Leighton said the tops represented skin: the show being called "Barebones", and all. So obvious, yet it eluded me!

"The Doorway" will reopen this autumn, and so I'm very much looking forward to that!


No comments:

Post a Comment