Monday, May 20, 2013

Worried About Oklahoma City

I E-Mailed John:
First guess is you're out of harm's way. Is that right?
He replied:
Yep, I'm on the northwest side. The damage is about 20 miles SE of here in Moore. It's the damndest thing about that--Moore seems to get devastated every few years...
I replied:
Glad to hear you’re all right. To me, that’s what matters.

I’m beginning to think idly about visiting Oklahoma City sometime. It’s possible I might visit Austin, TX, over the next year, and I was thinking OK City too, since they are so close.
John replied:
It sure looks like one hell of a mess down there and the tornadoes are still tearing their way eastward.

By all means come to OKC sometime. Summer is not a good time with the heat and humidity--and, of course, deadly tornadoes!!! Fall is usually a lot better. OKC and Austin may seem close but the drive is about 7 hours so you probably will want to fly if you come out this way. Southwest flies to both places.
I replied:
I thought I heard somewhere that you can point to any given piece of ground in Oklahoma, and a tornado will hit it – an average, once every thousand years. Sounds like the Gods don’t like Moore.
John replied:
The number I heard was once every 4000 years--which seems like fairly good odds. But sometimes randomness plays tricks on us...

No comments:

Post a Comment