Friday, May 24, 2013

Manny Aragon's House In The South Valley



While hunting for "Breaking Bad" sites in Albuquerque's South Valley, I slowed WAY DOWN when I passed this place. It looked like it was built by a demented person in a fevered fit! I wondered why BrBa never used it as a site.

Today at UBFFT on Facebook I learned from Location Scout Christian that the house belongs to Manny Aragon, former NM legislative leader (who gets out of prison come this January). That explains why the now-desolate place is surrounded by a locked chain link fence. Apparently Christian did indeed scout it as a BrBa location! It hasn't been used by the show to date, and probably never will, because it's likely to be already too famous to include in the TV series.

But still - man! - what a place! I suppose New Mexico sends demented people to the legislature, as a matter of course. Or maybe there is a subtle idea that he was trying to express through architecture.


Here's some pictures I took a year-and-a-half ago:

On Second St. SW at Camino Cuatro sits one of the most interesting houses I think I've ever seen in Albuquerque. Someone with time, money, and inclination built this ... this ... monument....

Lots of Ocotillo in use here. Lots of Ocotillo!

Whatever madness was afoot here seems to have been arrested. There is a chain link fence around the place.

Strange cinder block turrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment