Thursday, November 29, 2012

Walldruggie Recommends "Dreamland"

Walldruggie" writes:
Did you ever see a tiny little indie film (IMDB says it grossed $4350 total!) called "Dreamland". Shot beautifully outside of Rio Rancho, I really enjoyed it (maybe I'm a teenage romantic at heart).

I got it on DVD from Netflix yesterday.



I reply:
No, haven’t seen Dreamland. Looks nice, though. I’m curious where they filmed it. There are all kinds of strange and alienating places to live in Rio Rancho, but there are very few, if any, trailer parks there.

I remember, back in high school, walking with a friend cross-country from Corrales to Rio Rancho, and passing very close to a house so new that the place didn’t even have a fence or a wall. To our surprise, a friendly but worried voice with a New-York accent challenged us and demanded to know why we were there. We tried to put him at ease. I felt sorry for him. He had probably been there less than a week. What a transition from NY!

Such a strange landscape! In recent decades, Rio Rancho has only gotten stranger, with a Napoleonic madman visionary as mayor over much of that time. They now have disorderly ranchettes, that they didn’t used to have when I lived there, that look perfect for isolated husbands, suicidal wives, and rebellious kids. Always on the bleeding edge of innovation over there in Rio Rancho!

Shortly before my father died in 2009, the management of his trailer park in the North Valley (Green Acres) asked that he spend the day inside. They were filming a movie in the trailer park. The movie, “The War Boys” is a strange one. I’ve never seen it, but the transition from illegals-hunting to gauzy homoeroticism sounds awfully awkward:

No comments:

Post a Comment