Sunday, October 14, 2012

Freak Music Festival - Phoenix, AZ - Oct. 13, 2012

When I first arrived, there was a critical undermass of people. People were drifting out to a Food Court and Merchant Yard, so the numbers in the hall varied all evening from about fifteen to over a hundred.

Nevertheless, too much space gives ravers an opportunity to spread out, and they did so, as the mood moved them.

The DJs were great. Kelsey Barney and Julissa Veloz were awesome, as expected (video to be posted later). Met Rod Carillo too!

The spirit of the rave seemed to enter my bones as time passed. All of a sudden, people started approaching to share their rave knowledge with this neophyte. I couldn't master the simple step they were showing me (there must be a glitch in my brain). I bought a few items, like these whirly balls (which they showed me how to use). Kelsey Barney approached, took my foam rod with the blinking lights, posed provocatively with it, and danced away with it. That little minx! Well, if anyone deserves a rave toy, she does - she was very generous with her energy, giving it to the crowd this Saturday evening.

This is where all those sweaty evenings in Cardio Step class paid off. I was able to keep up with their energy expenditure. People shared their candy bracelets. People said the nicest things, like "You are AMAZING!" But it's all, as I replied, because I like to dance! And they do too!

At the end of the evening, a few asked what had brought me there. I said it was because I'd been following Kelsey Barney and Julissa Veloz for two years. "Of course you have!," one amused girl replied. One fellow showed his PLUR (Peace, Love, Unity, Respect) tattoo on the inside of his lip. Awesome crowd!

The Freak Music Festival in Phoenix reminds me that there is nothing like the generosity of spirit of a rave. Such nice folk! PLUR, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment