Monday, August 27, 2012

Third Bike Ride With Joe The Plumber

If it's Sunday, it's time for another bike ride with Joe the Plumber! Trouble is, Joe didn't have enough money to afford the gas to come to my house (where his bike is currently stored). So, I had to go get him where is currently-parked (here, at Senior Gleaners, near Bell and Raley, north of Del Paso Heights), bring him back to my house, and then repeat the trip after the bike ride. I grumbled, but went ahead and did it. So much driving, all for a bike trip!


Since our last two bike trips went north along the river, I wanted to go south. We angled south to get to the river, but once again, ended up heading north again. It's that northbound salmon homing instinct!

Here we are, at the entrance to Fairytale Town, in Land Park. It's funny - I almost never go to Land Park, ever - but with the Race for the Arts on Saturday and this bike trip on Sunday, I went to Land Park twice this weekend!


Sacramento Riverfront


There's wildlife in them thar waters!


"I" Street Bridge.


Once again, we went to the archery range at Discovery Park.

Passing through Discovery Park, someone excitedly said to us, apropos of nothing, "They're having a big coke party on the other side of the river!" We didn't know what to make of this news.

Suddenly, I had a big calamity. My bicycle chain derailed completely and became wedged near the axle apparatus. We had to ask for tools from a fire truck crew at the park to finally unwedge the stubborn chain. Our hands were completely blackened with grease.


River patrol on the American River stops partiers on a boat for some infraction.


On the return trip, we made several obligatory stops in Old Sacramento, including one here, in front of Laughs Unlimited. Inside, a rock band (4 Barrels?) was playing Jimi Hendrix.


Rusting locomotive.


Highway 50 bridge over the Sacramento River.


Northbound to eastbound connector over Broadway Blvd. at the I-5/Highway 50 interchange.

On the return trip to drop Joe off at Senior Gleaners, we passed over the American River Bridge on I-5 at Discovery Park. Just upstream, an enormous raft of about 20 boats had coalesced together for, evidently, one enormous party! Was this the influence of coke on everyone's spirits, or just the end of summer on the river?

No comments:

Post a Comment