Monday, May 21, 2012

Trek To Live Oak To See The Eclipse

Left: The Sutter Buttes, near Yuba City.


May 20, 2012 was the day of the big annular eclipse, and like all science-minded folk I was excited. According to the map published in the Sacramento Bee, in order to experience full annularity, however, you had to be farther north than metropolitan Sacramento: at least as far north as Marysville. So, what to do?

It just seemed frivolous to undertake a trip just to see an annular eclipse, but I had to remember, first of all, that near-total eclipses are very rare events. Plus, did I not travel to Australia in 2006, and New Zealand in 2008, just to see Kylie Minogue concerts? In comparison, traveling to Marysville for an annular eclipse was a practical matter: almost utilitarian. So, off I went!


I ended up in Live Oak, north of Yuba City, looking at this clothing collection box. What a list of things I do just by throwing old clothes in here!




Car Wash? Sure!


As I filled up my gas tank at this Live Oak convenience market, there were a series of announcements on speakers from the 'Gas Station Radio Network' that in order to keep fit, it was a very simple matter to do abdominal crunches, and that I could do abdominal crunches anywhere. I begged to differ, of course. It's a bad idea to do abdominal crunches while driving, for example. Like texting, working out while negotiating traffic is rather a distraction. So, I was puzzled by these odd announcements (particularly as I was already taking photos with my camera while driving, and bicep curls and other exercises would just compromise photo quality).


Traditional Chinese wives walk six paces behind their husbands. Fortunately, Americans don't follow these obsolete traditional ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment