Thursday, May 24, 2012

I Decided To Watch "I, Claudius" Again



Because it's just too much fun!

Even in the first ten minutes of the series, there is a witty exchange that, as a theater person, I much appreciated:

The Emperor Caesar Augustus (C.) has invited the Athenian orator Aristarchus (A.) to address a festival at his palace, and recite a new oration celebrating the 7th anniversary of the Battle of Actium. The palace is noisy, however, and C. asks his house slave Pallas (P.) to call for silence:
C.: Ah, Aristarchus, welcome!

A.: Hail, Caesar!

C.: I hope we haven't kept you waiting too long. Come, we're ready now. (noisy bustle) Give us your piece!

A.: Give me YOUR peace, Caesar, and I shall gladly give you mine!

C.: Yes, of course, I'm sorry. Pallas!

P.: (three heavy knocks on the floor with his staff) Caesar calls for silence!

A.: What a voice! Perhaps we should change places? Only the Romans can afford ushers with a voice like that! Did you have training?

P.: I was an actor, sir.

A.: Oh, that explains it. Resting, are you?

P.: No, sir, I've given it up. Everyone's an actor in Rome. There just isn't enough work to go around.

A.: And what there is goes to friends and relatives. It's the same everywhere.

P.: The theater isn't what it was.

A.: No, and I'll tell you something else. It never was what it was!



A helpful family tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment