Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bailey The Rabbit Has A New Hiding Place

On Sunday, Joe The Plumber came over to the house. He generously gave me a mountain bike for my many indulgences to him over the years (but I had to first pay for the rim repair). Joe wanted to help me mow the lawn, but I wanted to watch Kylie's X2008 Tour video instead, so we did that.

Joe needed to secure his dog in some other place than his van during the hot daylight hours while we watched the video, so we tied up Bella the Labrador Retriever in the yard, making sure to keep the leash short, in order to minimize any chance that Bella would interact with Bailey the Rabbit (who likes to sleep in the garage all day). I also closed and locked a little gate into the garage, to further separate the two.

Late in the afternoon, after watching the video, I went out to the garage as Joe prepared to leave. The little gate was open, with the door propped open with some sponges. Bailey's water looked like it had been jostled. It looked for all the world like someone had come into the garage for some purpose, or that the rabbit had busted out, but the only valuable thing missing was the rabbit. So, where was Bailey?

For at least an hour Joe and I searched high and low for the rabbit. I searched every square foot of the yard and garage. There was no sign of the rabbit. Bella was still tightly-leashed, so there was no obvious sign of interaction there. Frustrated, I decided that Bailey must have become alarmed by the close presence of a dog and found a new hiding place somewhere, and that the best thing to do was to simply wait him out.

About 2 a.m., I quietly sneaked into the yard, and peeked into the furthest end of the yard - at Bailey's favorite hangout spot. Sure enough, Bailey was quietly sitting there.

It's completely-unclear what, if anything, actually happened. I still don't know how the little gate was opened. And that wascally wabbit! I might happen to know every square foot of the yard and garage, but Bailey knows every square inch of the yard and garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment