Thursday, January 26, 2012

It Doesn't Have To Be Funny

Wednesday evening I was over at Jetta's place, putting together short videos to answer this casting call:
David Katz Productions, a Los Angeles based film and television production company whose projects include “Kissing Strangers” and “The Dispensary” is looking for amateur comedians to join the cast of a new, hilarious docu-series that follows the lives of the amateur comedians.

-Are you the next comedian to make us laugh?

-Are you juggling the ups and downs of life, writing jokes and going to open mic nights?

If you are living to tell a joke, have a unique point-of-view and potential to be the next big stand up comedian, then we want to hear from you!
J.: OK, tell me what you think about this joke:
When I moved from New York to Tucson, I walked into a bar and told the bartender "I want a beer!" He said, "Huh?" So, I told him again, this time louder, "I want a beer!" He said, "Huh?" So I shouted, "I want a BEER!" He said, "OH!"
J.: What do you think?

M.: It's not funny.

J.: (exasperated) Do I have to explain the joke to you? You analyze these things too much! It's because of my New York accent. The bartender couldn't understand my pronunciation of 'beer'!

M.: Your accent has faded over the years. It sounds like you are asking for a beer.

J.: Whatever; let's get to filming. What are you doing?

M.: I'm trying to make this joke work better.

J.: Not now. We've got to start filming.

M.: But my joke is pretty clunky. Besides, you hardly have any material.

J.: Don't you understand? It doesn't have to be funny.

M.: It doesn't?

J.: No. It's all about getting noticed by Hollywood. If they don't think we're funny - and they probably won't - then they can put us in something else where we are better-suited.

M.: But it's a casting call for comedians. It HAS to be funny!

J.: You analyze these things too much! Let's get to filming!

No comments:

Post a Comment