Monday, October 31, 2011

"Rocky Horror Picture Show" - California Stage

Here I am with Mariana Seda (Magenta). I am bearing the telltale red "V" on my forehead, for virgin, for those who had not seen the live show before.

I wasn't really a virgin, though. I saw the 2007 production of Rocky Horror at Garbeau's Dinner Theatre. But amnesia was convenient tonight, as we got an instructive pep talk from Christopher Carlson (Riff Raff) at the top of the show regarding how to interact with the show.

I first saw the movie version of Rocky Horror in about 1979, when the second wave of enthusiasm for the show was building. My principal memory of that event, apart from the novelty of so much audience participation, was the teenage girl who stood up directly in front of me and lifted her T-Shirt for all the theater to appreciate her budding beauty. Of course, being backlit against the luminous movie screen, no one could see a thing.

I probably lost my virginity with respect to this show several times.

In any event, I bumped into Eimi Taormina and Andy Hyun and Elizabeth Fernandez, and we formed a tiny DMTC cluster in the front row. Andy and Elizabeth were uncredited cast members, interjecting pithy shout-outs (or ejaculations, as English teachers might say) into the show. Fun!


Benjamin Ismail (Frankenfurter) greets audience members after the show.

The interactions between Mark and Lauren Ettensohn (Brad and Janet), and Benjamin Ismail, were particularly fun to watch, particularly during the 'bed' scenes. Mark is getting GOOD! It's scary!



A nice birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment