Sunday, October 14, 2007

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" At Garbeau's Dinner Theatre

Left to right: Dr. Frank N. Furter (Kevin Caravalho), Rocky (Chris Plank), Columbia (Maggie May), Eddie (Michael RJ Campbell), Phantom Betty (Nic Candito); (on stairway) Magenta (Amira Judah) and Riff-Raff (Troy Thomas); Phantom Ralph (Rachel Armour), Brad Majors (Aaron Boyer), and Janet Weiss (Annie Purvis).

The easily-frightened creature, Rocky, teams with Janet Weiss, to use the monitor to search Dr. Frank N. Furter's mansion for the missing Brad Majors. Left to right: Olga (Tygar Hicks), Rocky (Chris Plank), and Janet Weiss(Annie Purvis).

Riff-Raff and Magenta share a precious moment. Left to right: Phantom Ralph( Rachel Armour), Dr. Frank N. Furter (Kevin Caravalho), Brad Majors (Chris Plank), Janet Weiss (Annie Purvis), Olga (Tygar Hicks), Columbia (Maggie May), Riff-Raff (Troy Thomas), and Magenta (Amira Judah).

Work it, Kevin, work it!


It's hard to believe the original movie was released in 1975. It has won fans worldwide, even winning author Richard O'Brien the honor of a statue erected in his memory, on the site of the Embassy Cinema, in his hometown, Hamilton, New Zealand.

I first saw Rocky Horror in 1979, and my principal memory of that event, apart from the novelty of so much audience participation, was the teenage girl who stood up directly in front of me and lifted her T-Shirt for all the theater to appreciate her budding beauty. Of course, being backlit against the luminous movie screen, no one could see a thing. For me, this event always symbolized an element of frustrated longing about Rocky Horror. All these years later, I still had to get - my release. So, even though I did not feel well, and my head was full of fuzz, I eagerly went to see Saturday night's midnight show of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" At Garbeau's.

Groups from DMTC and RSP came to see the show, as did some of Maggie's family. It was a convivial get-together!

When Columbia (Maggie May, aka Maggie Roesser) entered at the top of the show singing "Science Fiction/Double Feature", she passed through the audience, and right past me. For an instant, our eyes locked, and I silently pleaded 'please don't drop character!' (she already knew we were there, though, so she was prepared).

Maggie had played Wendy in DMTC's production of "Peter Pan" in 2001, and even though she had long moved on to other roles, in some space in our hearts, she was still Wendy, a memory strengthened by the fact that four of us there this night had been in the cast of 2001's "Peter Pan." So, it was quite jarring to see Maggie immediately engaging in behavior that can only be described as quite un-Wendy-like. Prompted by her frizzy red hair, the whisper came back "She's like 'Annie' gone bad!" I whispered back the obvious reason: "It was NYC!"

Audience participation is helpful for this show, but my memory had rusted to uselessness for the appropriate responses. Fortunately, seeded in this audience were "Turtle" Akona and Anne Marie Trout, who provided ribald (and educational) replies to rhetorical questions like "Whatever happened to Fay Wray?"

In general, this is a very strong cast, many of whom have years of experience on stage. Troy Thomas gave a superior performance as Riff-Raff, and (despite his own cold) Michael RJ Campbell gave a dynamic, strong, and all-together too-brief performance as Eddie. I had never seen Aaron Boyer (Brad Majors) perform before, and not only was I impressed that he looked exactly like my nerdish friends from high school in the 70's, but he sang beautifully too (a skill beyond my nerdish friends' abilities to this day). Chris Plank (Rocky) gave a winning performance as the creature Rocky (better than the movie's weak characterization). Mark Garbe was great as Dr. Scott.

Tygar Hicks was cynical and sexy as Olga, a 'dominant' Narrator. Annie Purvis brought me to my knees with her portrayal of Janet Weiss. In a red catsuit, she was just too hot! Maggie May was a ball of energy as Columbia.

Kevin Caravalho was perfectly cast as Dr. Frank N Furter, and the only person I can think of who is currently-active in the Sacramento area who could have successfully matched the charisma of the movie's Tim Curry. Certainly no one was working harder to equate their name to the adjective 'sexy.'

Rachel Armour and Nic Candito rounded out the cast as Phantoms. Nic has lately been popping up everywhere where hot shows are on stage in the Sacramento area, and it was a pleasurable surprise to see him here too.

The only cast member I found difficult-to-read was Amira Judah as Magenta. I sensed perhaps a need for more energy (but the hour was late). Some cast members are also in Garbeau's "Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" earlier in the evening, so keeping at high intensity is a challenge throughout a long weekend.

Regarding choreography, the only number I had trouble with was "The Time Warp." Unlike the movie, in this show, there was no army of trolls to do massed dancing, of the sort that is especially-effective in giving this number extra punch. Instead, there was a curious circular, inward-looking dance that I thought at odds with the number's spirit.

Nevertheless, very few weak points. A wonderful performance for everyone involved! In our group, one commented that the cast had gone as far as possible without getting shut down by the authorities. Certainly even the pervs would have few grounds for complaint.

Of course, no show would be complete without meeting and greeting the actors! Maggie shared a funny story about exactly where her tongue went on this particular evening. The place was full of lusty joy. This time, though, my head full of feverish fuzz would betray me with a faux pas.

I was admiring the ghastly pallor of Troy Thomas' and Rachel Armour's makeup, when I told Troy that he was 'showing his age.' Taken aback, Troy asked, "Showing my age?" Aghast at my error, I said "I didn't mean you looked old, I meant that you looked dead!" Troy played with that response by pointing at his face, tossing back his white-blond hair, and saying "this is my natural complexion!" Still, for an actor looking for a little love, he looked unsatisfied. Troy then asked "what are you doing now?" I rolled my eyes at my night-owl DMTC compatriots and said "I have no idea what we are doing now!" (I hoped for no more coffee shops this evening). Troy then said, "No, I mean what is DMTC doing now? (Brigadoon is upcoming.)

It was more-than-clear my brain was no longer working fast enough for clear communication. At least things weren't as bad as the night I went to a midnight show, and literally fell on my face returning from intermission. Close, though.

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" continues at Garbeau's Dinner Theatre through November 10th (and through the critical Halloween period).

And look for the red cat suit....

No comments:

Post a Comment