Monday, October 17, 2011

The Copyright Ninjas Strike Again!

I received a notice from YouTube indicating that my first Humpback Whale video from a year ago was being challenged by some amorphous corporate entity called SME (or maybe those are a person's initials, but it's all pretty much the same thing these days, where corporations supposedly are persons and supposedly have free speech rights). Advertising from the band known as The Gipsy Kings was now being imposed on the video, and the video was banned from viewing in Germany. The horrors! The bastards!

I charged onto YouTube ready to do copyright battle, and discovered, indeed, that the boat operators had been playing The Gipsy Kings as I videoed the whales. I hadn't intended to breach copyright when I videoed the whales - I didn't even realize what music was being played - but apparently they indeed had a case. Off to copyright prison for me!

Which just makes me paranoid. Almost no one has watched this video. I didn't even know the Gipsy Kings were on it. How did they?

No comments:

Post a Comment