Saturday, July 09, 2011

Street Person Sounds Off Against Faceless Bureaucrats

A wiry, older man trudging west along J Street approached me. He asked: "Is there a bus that heads downtown along this street?" Well, since J Street is a one-way street where the traffic heads east, I politely explained, the odds of finding a bus heading west were mathematically zero.

"That's what everyone says, but they can't tell me where to find the right bus. People don't know anything! The DMV people won't accept my Social Security card as ID for a driver's license, so I have to go downtown to get proper ID."

I asked: "Do you have a passport?" He shouted, "a PASSPORT! Why would I have something like that? And when you walk around with an open container in your hand, some Porky Pig will tell you you can't do that, but they let all the younger people get away with that, on - what do they call it? - Second Saturday, because they are daddy and mommy's precious offspring! It makes me so mad!

Say, do you have a dollar?"

No comments:

Post a Comment