Monday, July 04, 2011

Antique Shopping In Petaluma


Petaluma. (old train station?)

There are a prodigious number of antique stores in downtown Petaluma. As soon as I arrived, I bought an orange bowl (for no other reason than orange is my favorite color).


The Seed Bank.


There are lots of other notable stores, like the Seed Bank, which sells lots of seeds, and caters to the needs of gardeners.


Vintage Bank Antiques.

This is like the largest antique store I've ever seen!


Inside Vintage Bank Antiques.


I soon realized their collection of old books was quite special. It was like the best old books in all the used book stores in the Bay Area had been carefully culled, and dropped here. There were all kinds of old, specialized, popular histories you can't get elsewhere. Unfortunately, the high prices reflected the special nature of the books: the management knows they have special books. Thus, I couldn't get everything I wanted.

I decided not to get the history of Baja California, but did get a history of Inyo County, plus a book by Oscar Lewis called 'The Town That Laughed to Death', which is a history of the life and times of the old newspaper in the town of Austin, Nevada.

Have you ever seen a popular history of Austin, Nevada, anywhere? Me neither!

No comments:

Post a Comment