Friday, July 15, 2011

It All Adds Up To Psychological Abuse

On Facebook, ME notes:
I love discovering new words for otherwise hard-to-describe stuff.
Gaslighting
Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse in which false information is presented to the victim with the intent of making them doubt their own memory and perception. It may simply be the denial by an abuser that previous abusive incidents ever occurred, or it could be the staging of bizarre event.
That's interesting! I joined the conversation.

Marc:
When I was a Physics undergraduate, the Department Head called me in and accused me of taking a freshman-level test on behalf of a failing student. When I denied the charge, he produced the test in question - with my handwriting on it! It took me a minute to realize that the letter "p" was written ever-so-slightly different from my usual practice, but that was the longest minute! The similarity of handwriting was eerie! It wasn't abuse, but it makes you realize where false confessions come from. Is there a word for that?
ME:
There is! you were on the brink of making a 'coerced internalized false confession'. This is a situation in which 'interrogative suggestibility' results from the combination of uncertainty (the similar handwriting was disorienting), interpersonal trust (the professor was a trusted authority figure), and expectation of dire consequences to produce in you a temporarily suggestible state where you doubt your own recollection of events. In high pressure interrogations, subjects can become convinced they are guilty of a crime they didn't commit, and even re-write their own memories!
Marc:
When I pointed out the slight difference in handwriting, the professor said he had noticed that, but felt confident enough to proceed anyway. When I urged him to investigate the case further, he said he was about to retire and didn't want the fuss. I could appreciate his troubles, but I thought the price of having to surrender my effort to get a degree was rather a steep price to pay.
ME:
So you weren't exonerated?
Marc:
No. I suppose it's still an open matter, although I got my degree, and the professor retired and passed away in the interim. Someone out there with my handwriting cheated 32 years ago, and got away!
ME:
I say you dedicate your blog to finding and apprehending the real physics test cheater and clear your name once and for all!
Marc:
Like Ahab chasing the white whale, I will pursue that physics test cheater for eternity! That cheater cannot escape my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment