Friday, May 13, 2011

That Was Among The Worst Traffic Jams I've Ever Seen!

Yesterday evening, at 5:45 p.m., I jumped onto I-5, heading south, and prepared to exit west, on Highway 50, towards Davis. And the rush-hour traffic...came....to....a.......dead........ S-T-O-P! I spent the next 40 minutes on the exit ramp, trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

Apparently what happened was that a River Cats baseball game was about to start, and people arriving for that event were exiting onto Jefferson Blvd. from Highway 50 westbound, in West Sacramento. For some crazy reason, that exiting traffic couldn't clear the exit ramp, came to a dead stop, and stayed that way. That roadblock completely sealed off the exit ramp I was on, since the traffic from both movements is forced to merge.

At least the car didn't get too hot (it's still spring), but it made me very late in Davis. But maybe it's a harbinger of better times. From 2005-2007, Sacramento traffic jams were legendary, but the economic crisis of the last few years forced people to stay at home more. As better times return, so too will the legendary Sacramento traffic jams.

No comments:

Post a Comment