Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Skateboarding Accident

I was departing work Tuesday evening about 5:30 p.m. when I noticed a big hullaballoo just outside, at the corner of 18th & J Streets. I stopped to check it out.

Several people were standing about, cellphones in their hands, and serious expressions on their faces. Poker faces, actually. I couldn't tell precisely what the people were thinking, but I could sense a great disquiet. I gingerly started asking questions....

From what I could piece together, a city bus let a skateboarder out at the bus stop in front of Gifted Gardener, at the SW corner of 18th & J Streets. The skateboarder then proceeded to cross J Street directly in front of the parked bus, and either rode or walked directly into the eastbound, one-way traffic. At least two people heard the brief, abrupt sound of automobile brakes being applied, then heard an impact.

Apparently the skateboarder was struck by two cars - one blue and one silver. Interestingly, one observer said the skateboarder got up immediately and didn't seem to be seriously injured. Nevertheless, by the time I arrived, all I could see of the skateboarder was his two sneakers, as he lay down inside the ambulance parked at the corner. Right now, I don't know his condition.

The drivers of the two cars, two women, were standing around looking serious. I wanted to ask them questions, but they hadn't even talked to the police first. I shied away....

In this picture, the driver of one of the two cars looks at the driver's side of her windshield, where the skateboarder had left spider cracks from the impact. The hood of her car was also dented.

From what I could tell, the drivers may have had almost no time to react to the sudden appearance of the skateboarder from around the corner of the bus.

Be careful out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment