Friday, February 11, 2011

Dropped In At "Cheap Thrills"

Bought some hippie wear. Got intrigued by all the available merchandise. Met Uncle Fred for the first time.

Uncle Fred wasn't entirely-pleased by the recent Sac Bee article on him, and the store. He laid out ground rules for the interview that weren't followed. That said, he started reminiscing about life on 'The River'. Clod that I am, I thought he might have meant the American River. I had forgotten that, in Northern California lore, 'The River' means (if I'm not mistaken), the hippie Shangri-La of the Russian River in the late 60's and early 70's (although on the North San Juan Ridge, 'The River' generally means the Yuba River).

I'm just a bit too young, and missed 'The River' and all its delights....

No comments:

Post a Comment